Dolphinfish on Britannia's Royal Barge
Our Environmental Policy
Both individually and collectively we all have a part to play
helping to protect and minimise our impact on the
At The Royal Yacht Britannia we are committed to ensuring
we have environmentally sensitive policies and best practice
procedures throughout all aspects of our business.
To meet this commitment as a business we shall strive to:
- Comply with and where possible exceed the requirements of
- Continually seek to improve our environmental performance.
- Raise awareness, encourage participation and train our
employees in environmental matters.
- Integrate environmental considerations into business, decision
making and daily activities.
- Reduce our energy and supplies.
- Eliminate, reduce, reuse and recycle our waste.
- Ensure hazardous and residual waste is disposed of in a safe
- Provide adequate resources and competent people to help meet
- Regularly review our policy to ensure we are continuing to meet
- A commitment to comply with environmental legislation.
- A commitment to prevent pollution.
- A commitment to continuous improvement.
The Royal Yacht Britannia is a member of the VisitScotland Green
Tourism Business scheme.
Help us safeguard the environment
As a charitable trust dedicated to preserving The Royal Yacht
Britannia for future generations to enjoy, we are
committed to environmentally-friendly tourism. Please consider the
following ways in which you could help us to protect Scotland's
- Give the car a rest - Whenever possible we encourage visitors
to leave their cars behind and walk, cycle or use public transport.
Find out more at Traveline.
- Eat local, buy local and see local - Support local producers
and services, and experience the true flavour of what Scotland has
to offer. Our food is made on board in the Royal Galley using the
best locally sourced produce, wherever possible.
- Conserve energy - Whilst lifts and escalators are essential for
some visitors, many use the stairs. This is the healthy option,
which also helps reduce the amount of energy needed to power lifts
and escalators. The Energy Saving Trust provides
information on what you can do to save energy at home.
- Be water wise - When using bathroom facilities,
we would be grateful if you would use water wisely and please don't
leave taps running.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle - When visiting Britannia and
purchasing gifts, please let our staff know if you would prefer not
to have a carrier bag. You can recycle any waste you have at the
recycling points provided at Britannia. You can also
recycle household batteries at Britannia, just ask a
member of staff.
- Respect nature - Help us to look after our local environment
and wildlife by not littering, and deposit any refuse in bins or at
the recycling points at Britannia. Please use footpaths
and cycle-ways around Leith responsibly.
- Support green businesses - There are hundreds of businesses in
Edinburgh trying to reduce their impact on the environment through
the Green Tourism for Business Scheme. Please ask a member of staff
for more information or visit Green Tourism Business scheme. Your
support is greatly appreciated.
We hope you enjoy your visit to Britannia; and if you
have suggestions of further ideas on how we could reduce our
environmental impact, please email email@example.com
Share this page