Job Title: Finance Assistant (Accounts Receivable)
Hours: Full time
Pay: circa £21,000
The Royal Yacht Britannia is an award-winning five-star visitor attraction and exclusive events venue in Edinburgh. The 180-strong team on board is committed to the same standards of excellence that were expected when Britannia was in service. This dedication to excellence has led to Britannia being rated as Scotland’s Best Visitor Attraction for 13 years running by national tourist board, Visit Scotland, and being featured in TripAdvisor’s UK Top 10 attractions for five years.
An exciting new addition to our portfolio is our recently opened luxury floating hotel, Fingal, a former Northern Lighthouse Board ship and ranked TripAdvisor’s number one hotel in Edinburgh. Fingal offers the ultimate in luxury, with 23 beautifully styled cabins, where guests can choose from their own private balcony, duplex cabin or, for that special occasion, the stunning presidential suite.
The Finance & Administration department is involved in a wide range of activities, ranging from day to day financial processing to playing a role in formulating the organisation’s financial strategy. We provide support to Britannia and Fingal’s managers and staff who are responsible for delivering quality service to our visitors. We are looking for a Finance Assistant to join the friendly team on board.
Working as part of a core Finance Team, the role of the Finance Assistant is primarily to maintain the Accounts Receivable function of the company. This post will be one of a number of such posts that reports to the Senior Finance Manager. The role includes, but is not limited to:
- Ensuring the timely raising and issuing of accurate sales invoices, primarily for group visitor bookings, private/corporate events and hotel customers.
- Posting and reconciling of incoming payments to customer accounts in accordance with strict deadlines.
- Preparing and issuing customer statements on a weekly basis.
- Running a weekly Trade Debtors report for review by the Senior Finance Manager and Head of Finance.
- Take a robust, pro-active approach to debt recovery to ensure collection in accordance with stipulated credit terms.
- Reconciliation of the events balance sheet control account.
- Dealing with any queries in respect of Accounts Receivable.
- Managing petty cash requests and reconciling on a monthly basis.
- Managing personal expense claims and company credit cards.
- Liaising with operational teams at Britannia and Fingal to ensure that all debtor accounts are up to date and settled in a timely manner.
- Providing support with month-end accounts preparation, including undertaking reconciliations to the trial balance.
- Consistently challenging all processes relating to Accounts Receivable to propose, lead and implement continuous improvement.
- Carrying out any other duties as may be requested from time to time by the Head of Finance & Administration, Senior Finance Manager and Finance Manager.
- In addition, the successful candidate will be trained in other aspects of a busy Finance Office including Accounts Payable, Daily Sales, Treasury, balance sheet reconciliations and other ad hoc tasks.
The Finance Assistant is accountable to the Senior Finance Manager.
- Good level of education with at least GCSE/Standard Grade/National 5 English and Mathematics at Grade 1-3 or equivalent (Essential)
- AAT Part Qualified or equivalent experience (Desirable)
- Basic understanding of accounting
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience at Finance Assistant level
- Ability to use IT systems efficiently and effectively (MS Word, Excel)
- Ability to work with bespoke IT systems
- Experience of working in credit control
- Experience of using an e-procurement system
- Excellent understanding of accounting principles
- Relevant work experience in a similar organisation or background
The post holder must be enthusiastic, have excellent communication and team-work skills, and a can-do flexible attitude, both with work colleagues and other key stakeholders. They will also promote and drive a culture of continuous improvement.
Company benefits include:
- Enhanced long service holiday entitlement
- Non-contributory pension
- Life Assurance
- Performance and loyalty payment scheme
- Complimentary tickets
- Staff discount in the Gift Shop, Royal Deck Tea Room and The Lighthouse Bar on board Fingal
- Free car parking for staff
If you feel you have the personality, skills and experience we are looking for, then we would love to hear from you.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter outlining why you feel you would be suitable for the role of Finance Assistant to: Rhianne.Thornton@tryb.co.uk or postal applications to:
The Royal Yacht Britannia
Closing date: 16/03/2020
No agencies please.