Job Title: Finance Assistant (Accounts Payable)
Hours: Full time
Pay: Circa £21,000 + Benefits
The Royal Yacht Britannia is an award-winning five-star visitor attraction and exclusive events venue in Edinburgh. The 180-strong team on board is committed to the same standards of excellence that were expected when Britannia was in service. This dedication to excellence has led to Britannia being rated as Scotland’s Best Visitor Attraction for 12 years running by national tourist board, Visit Scotland, and in TripAdvisor’s Top 10 UK attractions 2014-18.
An exciting new addition to our portfolio is the recently opened Fingal Hotel, a former Northern Lighthouse Board ship, which offers the ultimate in luxury. With 23 beautifully styled cabins, guests can choose from their own private balcony, duplex cabin or, for that special occasion, the stunning presidential suite.
The Finance & Administration department is involved in a wide range of activities, ranging from day to day financial processing to playing a role in formulating the organisation’s financial strategy. We provide support to Britannia and Fingal’s managers and staff who are responsible for delivering quality service to our visitors. We are looking for a Finance Assistant to join the friendly team on board.
The Finance Assistant Role
Working as part of a core Finance Team, the role of the Finance Assistant is primarily to maintain the Accounts Payable function of the company. This post will be one of a number of such posts that report to the Senior Finance Manager. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Provisionally posting invoices on to the finance system, matching to purchase orders where appropriate or gaining approval from the relevant head of department, before posting live into the ledger.
• Preparing and running weekly BACS payments and emailing out remittances.
• Reconciling supplier statements and requesting copy invoices where necessary.
• Posting and reconciling payment transactions.
• Dealing with any queries in respect of Accounts Payable.
• Managing petty cash requests and reconciling on a monthly basis.
• Managing personal expense claims and company credit cards.
• Liaising with operational teams at Britannia and Fingal to ensure that all supplier accounts are up to date, this may include a regular transfer of invoices and any other relevant paperwork for approval, between sites.
• Providing support with month-end accounts preparation, including undertaking reconciliations to the trial balance.
• Reviewing all processes relating to accounts payable and be proactive in improving / streamlining to achieve greater business efficiencies.
• Carrying out any other duties as may be requested from time to time by the Head of Finance & Administration, Senior Finance Manager and Finance Manager.
• In addition, the successful candidate will be trained in other aspects of a busy Finance Office including accounts receivable, ad hoc tasks and balance sheet reconciliations.
The Finance Assistant is accountable to the Senior Finance Manager.
• Good level of education with at least GCSE / Standard Grade / National 5 English &
Mathematics at Grade 1-3 or equivalent (Essential)
• AAT Part Qualified or equivalent experience (Desirable)
• Basic understanding of accounting (Essential)
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience at Finance Assistant level (Essential)
• Ability to use IT systems efficiency and effectively (MS Word, Excel) (Essential)
• Ability to work with bespoke IT systems (Essential)
• Experience of using an e-procurement system (Desirable)
• Excellent understanding of accounting principles (Desirable)
• Relevant work experience in a similar organisation or background (Desirable)
The post holder must be enthusiastic, have excellent communication and team-work skills, and a can-do flexible attitude, both with work colleagues and other key stakeholders. They will also promote and drive a culture of continuous improvement.
Company benefits include:
• Enhanced long service holiday entitlement
• Non-contributory Pension
• Life Assurance
• Performance and loyalty payment scheme
• Complimentary tickets and staff discount
If you feel you have the personality, skills and experience we are looking for, then we would love to hear from you.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and a covering letter outlining why you feel you would be suitable for the role of Finance Assistant to: Rhianne.Thornton@tryb.co.uk or postal applications to:
The Royal Yacht Britannia
Closing date: 29/03/2019
Interviews: Week commencing 1st April 2019
No agencies please.