Our Environmental Policy
Both individually and collectively we all have a part to play in helping to protect and minimise our impact on the environment. At The Royal Yacht Britannia, we are committed to ensuring that we have environmentally sensitive policies and best practice procedures throughout all aspects of our business.
To meet this commitment as a business we shall strive to:
- Comply with and where possible exceed the requirements of environmental legislation.
- Continually seek to improve our environmental performance.
- Raise awareness, encourage participation and train our employees in environmental matters.
- Integrate environmental considerations into business, decision making, and daily activities.
- Reduce our energy and supplies.
- Eliminate, reduce, reuse and recycle our waste.
- Ensure hazardous and residual waste is disposed of in a safe manner.
- Provide adequate resources and competent people to help meet our commitment.
- Regularly review our policy to ensure we are continuing to meet our objectives.
- A commitment to comply with environmental legislation.
- A commitment to prevent pollution.
- A commitment to continuous improvement.
The Royal Yacht Britannia is a member of the VisitScotland Green Tourism Business Scheme.
Help us safeguard the environment
As a charitable trust dedicated to preserving The Royal Yacht Britannia for future generations to enjoy, we are committed to environmentally-friendly tourism. Please consider the following ways in which you could help us to protect Scotland's environment:
- Give the car a rest - Whenever possible we encourage visitors to leave their cars behind and walk, cycle or use public transport. Find out more at Traveline.
- Eat local, buy local and see local - Support local producers and services, and experience the true flavour of what Scotland has to offer. Our food is made on board in the Royal Galley using the best locally sourced produce, wherever possible.
- Conserve energy - Whilst lifts and escalators are essential for some visitors, many use the stairs. This is the healthy option, which also helps reduce the amount of energy needed to power lifts and escalators. The Energy Saving Trust provides information on what you can do to save energy at home.
- Be water wise - When using bathroom facilities, we would be grateful if you would use water wisely and please don't leave taps running.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle - When visiting Britannia and purchasing gifts, please let our staff know if you would prefer not to have a carrier bag. You can recycle any waste you have at the recycling points provided at Britannia. You can also recycle household batteries at Britannia, just ask a member of staff.
- Respect nature - Help us to look after our local environment and wildlife by not littering, and deposit any refuse in bins or at the recycling points at Britannia. Please use footpaths and cycle-ways around Leith responsibly.
- Support green businesses - There are hundreds of businesses in Edinburgh trying to reduce their impact on the environment through the Green Tourism for Business Scheme. Please ask a member of staff for more information or visit the Green Tourism Business Scheme. Your support is greatly appreciated.
We hope you enjoy your visit to Britannia; and if you have suggestions for further ideas on how we could reduce our environmental impact, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.