Small Boat Manager
The Royal Yacht Britannia is an award-winning five-star visitor attraction and exclusive events venue in Edinburgh. We have also recently opened a 23 bedroom luxury floating hotel: Fingal, that is already Edinburgh’s No.1 hotel on TripAdvisor. The 200-strong team looking after both ships are committed to the same standards of excellence that was expected when both ships were in service. This dedication to excellence has led to Britannia being rated as Scotland’s Best Visitor Attraction for 12 years running and consistently one of TripAdvisor’s Top 5 UK Landmark Attractions.
Britannia’s Maintenance department consists of skilled engineers and qualified trade staff who undertake the preservation of these iconic vessels and provide an essential support role to all other departments. The team also maintain a flotilla of small operational motorboats including; the Royal Nore (Thames) State Barge, an Activity workboat, and two vintage Fast Motor Launches, as well as two sailing yachts; the 63ft ocean racing yacht Bloodhound, and the Dragon Class yacht Bluebottle. In addition, they look after five static vessels that are on display; the Royal Barge, Coweslip (Flying Fifteen), two 27ft Motor Whalers, and a Fast Motor Launch.
This new role is to lead a small dedicated team to maintain and operate the small boats, and is very much a hands-on role reporting directly to our Head of Maintenance who is a Naval Architect (RINA).
You must have a good working knowledge of MCA rules and regulations, such as Marine Guidance Note (MGN) and Merchant Shipping Notice (MSN).
A good understanding of small boat Engines, Ship Systems, Rigs and Sails would also be beneficial.
- You will be required to keep each vessel in Classification, organising annual external inspections by independent surveyors.
- Produce and maintain maintenance schedules and ships logs for each vessel.
- Organise training for the team and also any crew members who are involved in the cruising and or sailing of the vessels.
- You will have responsibility for the day-to-day management of the small boat staff responsible for the upkeep of the boats.
- Organise transport if any of the vessels need to leave port.
- You will have the support of the main Maintenance Team for specialised assistance, such as joinery, plumbing, electrical and spray painting as required liaising with the Head of Maintenance and Maintenance Team Manager.
You must have a Driving Licence and an interest in sailing would be beneficial, but not essential.
The role involves working 40 hours per week over 5 days and there will be a requirement to work some evenings and weekends. Salary £32k per annum.
Company benefits include:
- 10% non-contributory Pension
- Life Assurance
- Enhanced long service holiday entitlement
- Performance and loyalty payment scheme
- Complimentary tickets
- Staff discount in the Gift Shop and Royal Deck Tea Room
- Free car parking for staff
Please send your CV or resume of work experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org or postal applications to:
Head of Maintenance,
The Royal Yacht Britannia,
Edinburgh EH6 6JJ
Closing date: 11 October 2019
Please note, due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to unsuccessful candidates. If you have been selected for interview you will be contacted directly.